Yikes
While the weekend was ok for me poker wise, it sure wasn't kind to Team Canada.
I watched Team Canada lose to Switzerland for the first time in my lifetime. The refereeing was horrible but Team Canada's work ethic looked to be almost as bad. Later that evening I played in a $10 online multiplayer tournament and won it. I also played some ring games with solid results.
On Sunday I watched Team Canada come out flat again. They turned around their play in the 2nd period but couldn't manage to score. It's tough to play from behind. Hopefully tomorrow they will get off to a better start against the Czechs. While many people are getting down on the team, I still believe they can gel in time for the Medal rounds. They are really missing Jovanoski and Neidermeyer on D as they would provide a lot of offense and both of them find a way to get shots through to the net from the point, which is something the current D can't seem to manage.
I have not been impressed with Redden at all. He was the cause of the second Finn goal and he iced the puck at least 6 times against the Finns when he either completely misfired a pass or he dumped it in on his own side of the red line. I am extremely glad that Spezza isn't on the team though. Nothing against his skill, but he is way to slow for the big ice.


4 Comments:
Redden and Blake have been our most consistent D through-out the tournament - but overall our defensive corps have been a major let-down. All our problems start back there... we either give pucks away in our zone, fail to clear or make bad choices in terms of break-out passes. Makes it tough to get a consistent offensive effort.
As for Spezza, what an odd subjective comment considering you've never seen him play on big ice. The slowest guys on Team Canada right now are Bertuzzi, Thornton and Nash (in that order). Instead of playing "Canadian" hockey and banging and crashing, they're floating around and wasting time. Bertuzzi played well against Italy and since then he's sucked. He should be benched along with Nash and McCabe.
Best player overall? Ryan Smyth. He plays his heart out every shift.
Oh and I love you, please win millions in San Jose!! ;-P
I would say THornton has been the slowest, and Bertuzzi hasn't been used well. Our D does not get pucks through to the net. They keep firing the puck back in the corner.
As for Spezza, I saw him play on big ice in Sweden and was not impressed. I grant you that it was several years ago but comparing his speed in the NHL to other World Class players it is easy to see he lags behind.
For Canada to be successful we have to start playing our game, which is in between the faceoff dots. A perimiter game means easy saves and shots from very bad angles, as well as the chance of passes being picked off.
While I think other non hockey fan type Bertuzzi haters might agree with you, most Hockey Analysts seem to strongly disagree with you regarding Bertuzzi's play.
see, I find it much more fun to actually watch hockey games and form my own opinions. But I'll bite anyways... show me two hockey "analysts" that think Bertuzzi isn't playing like crap.
btw, in between periods today Brian Williams and Don Cherry talked about Bertuzzi. Said he isn't playing like himself because of the lawsuit. So I guess, like you, they're willing to blindly defend Bertuzzi. I, on the other hand, told it exactly like it is. His only good game has been against Italy and he's been a non-factor since.
and I still think its funny to compare Spezza to other world class players, especially since Team Canada seems to be skating in quicksand this entire tournament.
peace out,
non-hockey fan type
your favourite just took a stoopid penalty and Canada may have just lost because of it. Go ahead and defend him some more.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home