Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Beat you to it

I know everyone is going to second guess the picking of the Canadian Team and I know that people are going to use Bertuzzi as a goat. 

I grant you the fact that he did not play as well as he did earlier in the tournament.  To paint him as the goat would be wrong though.  We needed at least one goal to win the game, which we couldn't even get.  We had a lot of chances but it wasn't meant to be.  When you lose 2 Norris trophy candidates weeks before the tournament and your two other Norris trophy candidates are injured it really hurts.  Offense starts with the defense and the inability to cleanly move the puck out of our zone and join in the rush cost us. 

Still, I was pleased with the effort of the Canadians today.  I especially liked the effort from Lecavalier.
Smyth and Thornton also had very good games. 
Oh well, as long as we win gold in Vancouver everything will be ok again.

As for the Canucks.  They took a big hit in this tournament.  They lost Ohlund, Salo and were already without Jovo. 
Bertuzzi will be a scape goat so it will be interesting to see how he responds.  He is already under enough pressure as it is and this will only add to it.


1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, February 22, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on man... for all intents and purposes it was a 1-0 win. It didn't matter whether it was Bert or not that took the penalty, he was going to be a goat and rightly so. It was a dumb penalty and something the refs have been calling all tournament.

That doesn't make him the goat for the entire tourney... that list is too long. McCabe, Pronger, Nash, Iginla it goes on and on.

There's not much more that can be said that hasn't already been said over the past week. To lose three games 2-0 is absolutely unbelievable given the talent on that team. For whatever reason the guys didn't gel and didn't trust each other. I agree that the best thing we can do now is look ahead to 2010 and try to use this as a learning experience.

Now concentrate on poker. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home