Monday, February 27, 2006

Wow, that was quick!

I got there about 20 minutes early and I enjoyed some of the free buffet breakfast. Then I went to check out what table I would sit at. Table 25 seat 7. That was good. That meant I would be 2 to the left of the pro at my table. The pro at my table was non other than Phil Ivey. Not exactly the best drawing I could have.:)

Within about 20 minutes Kathy Leibert got knocked out and several other stars were all in on their tables. Negreanu sucked out to get a split pot at the table behind me on the 3rd or 4th hand. Other than having one of the best players in the world at my table I thought my table was going to be pretty good. There were a few other pros there but nothing out of my league.

Throughout the first round I laid down a hand to a big reraise from Ivey, and I also took a decent pot from Ivey when I put him on a bluff. Then came the hand that did me in. There were 3 limpers in front of me and I limped behind them with 44. The guy to my left raised 7 times the big blind. One of the early limpers called and so did I. I put the guy to my left on a decent hand but figured if I hit my trips that I could win a large pot. The flop came K, 8, 4 with 2 spades. A perfect flop for me. The early position player checked, and I checked behind him. The original raiser bet out 1200. The early position guy called and I decided to raise. There was no amount that I could raise where I wouldn't be pot committed so I announced all in! The guy to my left wasted no time in saying he was all in as well, and the guy in early position wasted some time before he folded. I flipped over my trip 4's and before he could turn over his cards I said "You have trip Kings". Sure enough, he flips over trip Kings and just like that I am sent packing 58 minutes into the first level. Needless to say, not what I had planned and rather disappointing.

Could I have laid that hand down the way it was played? No. I had to raise to protect my hand against a flush draw, and it was just bad luck that he caught trips as well.

Lisa and I went down to Gilroy after that where we visited a Outlet mall like the one we went to in Las Vegas. This one wasn't nearly as good though. It rained hard again today so our driving wasn't very nice either. Hopefully we will get some better weather the rest of the trip. We are both looking forward to the hockey game tomorrow night.

Sorry to disappoint. Cheers, Brad.

5 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, February 28, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow man, that is harsh. Your explanation makes sense, not much you can do when someone flops higher trips.

I'm glad to read your version of it as well because the Paradise blog said something like "Nasber pushed for $9K with 44 and was called by KK". Made it sound pre-flop, which would have made no sense.

Don't worry about disappointing your faithful readers... its poker, bad luck happens.

Hope you guys continue to have a good trip otherwise. Still coming home at the same time or will you try to get an earlier flight?

 
At 8:04 AM, February 28, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I guess this means you are going to be at my meeting next Wednesday?

Tough break... on the bright side you got to play against Phil and got some more experience.

Go play at the Casino and hustle some tourists... at least now you can start focussing on the WSOP.

Greg

 
At 8:18 AM, February 28, 2006 , Blogger Kevin Forbes said...

That's too bad man, not too much you could do once your trips hit.

Enjoy San Jose and the hockey game!

 
At 10:02 AM, February 28, 2006 , Blogger Brad Craig said...

Matt,

I just read that on Paradise. That is absolutely wrong. I sent them an email and hopefully they will correct it. I'd have to be a tool to risk my whole tournament an hour into it with just 44.
Notice how they didn't mention what the flop was.

 
At 10:19 AM, February 28, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yeah man, I knew there was more to. I told Mo that either the Paradise blogger got it wrong or you hit your head sitting down at the table. :)

the Cardplayer blog also described Negreanu's suck-out split... he needed runner-runner to stay alive? The table must have been going nuts.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home