Tuesday, June 28, 2005

This is just a little insight to anyone that watched me at the final table of the Coral tournament when I was down to three players.

First of all, I had a significant chip lead. Neither of my opponents were in any position to try anything real fancy, but they were desperate since they both had fairly low chip counts. My goal here was to let them beat each other up, and wait for decent hands before I got involved. There was no point in me getting involved in too many hands unless I had a decent hand, or I could see a flop for free or cheaply from one of the blinds.

After the third person was knocked out, I went into the heads up match with a significant chip lead. At this point I could lean on the smaller stack, who I had already pegged as a tighter player. Most of the time, I would say always raise from the SB heads up regardless of your 2 hole cards. For the most part I did just that, however, now and then I would throw in a fold or a call to mix things up. This gives him the impression that I'm really not raising with any 2 cards, and that I must have something when I raise, which is of course completely wrong. Here is a list of starting hands I had in the SB, and what I did each time.

T 5, Raise
8 4, Raise
9 T, Call
J 4, Raise
9 7, Fold
K 3, Raise
J 7, Raise
Q T, Raise
A A, Raise
J 7, fold
2 4, Raise
5 6, Call
3 5, Raise

As you can see, I folded some hands that I would normally make a raise with playing heads up, but I didn't want my opponent to think I was playing any 2 cards. This allowed me to grind him down to basically nothing until he went all in when I was in the BB and had QQ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home