Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Playing a Big Stack is not easy. Most people can play a small stack or a medium stack effectively.

These are some of the things I do when I have a big stack. It has worked for me.

The following applies when the blinds are at least 50-100.

When playing as a big stack, I loosen my starting requirements and start opening a lot more pots. I want to lean on my opponents and pick up as many small pots as possible. I never limp into a pot as a big stack unless I am trying to mix up my play so that somebody won't get a read on me. I especially prey on people who seem tight or have difficulty playing after the flop. When I have position in an unraised pot, I am raising with any 2 cards.

On top of that, I generally take a no limp rule while on the button or 1 off the button. If I have noticed people limping constantly with weaker holdings I will raise significantly with any 2 cards. This is a big stack builder.

eg. I am on the button and 4 people limp into the pot for 200 each. This is a prime opportunity to drop the hammer. I will raise it up to at least 1000 and watch people fold while I collect 800.

Not only does this build my stack, but it sends a message to my opponents that they better have a decent hand if they are coming into the pot. This usually results in tighter play by my opponents and allows me to steal even more blinds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home